Your gut and Super Bowl snacks don’t have to disagree. Take these easy snacks to the party and your friends and family’s gut bacteria will live happily. Be the real MVP and take a bottle of Flourish Original or Junior to share! These snacks are high in fiber, low in sugar, and nutrient dense; good for you and your microbiome. Whether you love salty, sweet, or sweet & salty, these snack options have something for everyone at the Super Bowl party.
Greek Layer Dip
1 container hummus, flavor of choice (Or make your own… easy homemade hummus recipe below!)
1/2 C plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 C seeded cucumber, diced
1/3 C crumbled feta cheese
1/4 C pitted, sliced Kalamata olives
1 small tomato, diced
3 green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp Finely Chopped parsley
Optional last-minute toppers – fresh lemon, dried oregano, drizzle of oil
Dipping apparatus of choice. Recommended: carrots, sliced bell peppers, crackers, pita chips, Beanito chips
- Spread hummus in the bottom of an 8×8” baking dish, shallow pie pan, or similar sized dish. Dollop the Greek yogurt by small spoonfuls over the top, then gently spread so as not to disturb the bottom layer. If they get mixed up, no big deal. They’ll get mixed up in your mouth, too.
- Scatter the cucumber, feta cheese, olives, green onions, and parsley over the top. Refrigerate until ready to serve with pita chips, crackers, or sliced veggies as desired. Option to top with a squeeze of fresh lemon, sprinkle of dried oregano, and drizzle of olive oil.
Easy Homemade Hummus – Creamy & Delicious!
1/4 C Tahini
1/4 C freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-2 cloves of garlic
15 oz can Garbanzo beans (drain but reserve liquid)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp+ Water (or use reserve liquid from Garbanzo bean can)
Whip together tahini and lemon juice in food processor until smooth and creamy. Add oil and garlic. Blend until smooth. Slowly add Garbanzo beans, blending until smooth between each addition. Add salt and water (or liquid from can.) Blend adding more salt and liquid until you get your desired consistency. Add any combination of seasonings and spices or just drizzle more olive oil on top before serving.
Baked Apples with Yogurt & Granola
4 apples, cored & sliced
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1/2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 C plain Greek yogurt, sweetened to taste
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 C granola
Optional: walnuts, toasted coconut, chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place sliced apples, maple syrup, and butter in a 9 x 13” pan. Toss until apples are well coated. Roast, stirring occasionally until apples are crisp-tender.
- While apples bake, mix the Greek yogurt and lightly sweeten with honey to taste. Whisk in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- When apples are done baking, spoon into bowls, sprinkle with granola and top with yogurt.
SWEET & SALTY
Sweet & Salty Popcorn
1/2 cup yellow or white popcorn kernels
2 – 4 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp honey
Salt to taste
- Pop kernels in preferred method.
- Place coconut oil and honey in microwave safe bowl. Heat until coconut oil is melted and honey is just bubbling. Option to heat on stovetop.
- Pour oil/honey mixture over the popcorn and season with salt as desired.
Happy Super Bowl Snacking!